Saturday, March 24, 2012

Saison de Triton

After my English ale fermentation  failure, I decided to go with something I couldn't ruin with my swelteringly hot 68 degree ambient temperature..  That pretty much leaves the Belgians and maybe Australian ales.Its gonna be hot soon so the obvious choice for a fan of saisons is a Saison! After way too much deliberation I settled on a simple grist and hop bill. I went with Wyeast 3711 French Saison because everyone whines so much about the Dupont strain.  The aforementioned English ale fermentation scarred me and I did not want to deal with yeast issues again. For similar reasons I didn't do a yeast starter and kept the gravity reasonably low. Another reason for not doing a yeast starter was that I found lots of people recommending underpitching.. we will see if they are right.

I used the trial version of BeerSmith for this to give it a whirl. Quite nice. This is on the frankenstein net book running xubuntu w/o a working keyboard or trackpad..
From The Happy Newt

This was the first run of the new MLT. I really like it except for how big it is.. guess I didn't think it through. oh well. 10gal batches sound better anyway.

From The Happy Newt


And the manifold - the two ends on the right are crimped closed. Jigsaw slits in the bottom. The only soldered piece is the the first 90 from the 1/2" connection.
From The Happy Newt

Bulkhead from bargain fittings and valve from hardware store. dont remember if this was the cooler kit or the keg kit as I originally got for my other MLT. Regardless it works well with one washer

From The Happy Newt


No comments:

Post a Comment